Saturday 21 March 2009

Typeface by Tasha

The last project in the Typography unit is to design/make our own typeface!

I think this is a great project, and really creative - perfect for meeee :)
The only problem is that, well everything seems to have already been done!

After some random brainstorming, I narrowed it down to the ones I liked the best, including:

Ice cube typeface, Ice lolly typeface, Orange segment typeface, Lipstick typeface (which I have wanted to do for a while now - no copying - I WILL get around to doing it some day haha), Dirty t-shirt typeface, Broken tiles typeface, Cassette typeface

..... anddddd I have chosen to do the Ice Lolly typeface for this project! :)



Me and Mr S. are going to go to the 3D Design studio on Wednesday and do some extrusion to make molds for type :)

I'm gonna steal some wooden stirrer thingys from Maccy D's tomorrow (I'm going to pick up the perfume bottle that I won on ebay - and be chauffeur for my dad) and use them as the lolly sticks - the real things might be too big as letters will only be 9x9cm

I don't think I'm going to do the whole alphabet - I will do the letters which have the main components (straight line, diagonal, curve etc) and I think Tahoma bold in upper case letters is looking nice for this!

The lollies will be made from wax (yes, more wax model making) and will have a nice glossy, coloured but translucent effect and I can spray some water on with one of those mist things to make it look like actual ice! :) Excited much!

I hope this turns out as great as I am envisioning it in my head!!!

UPDATE 13/04/09 - I have been neglecting my blog recently, but I have been busy!

I started making the ice lolly typeface :)



Cutting out the template



Extruding with clay





Using the cheese cutter string thing to get different thickness Rs



Making a wall for the plaster mold


After it had set, I filled the plaster mold with hot melted wax :)



And voila! A wax R... awww and it floats too, how cute :)



Now I'm trying it in different colours...



.... and different material molds. This is gelflex stuff - rubbery and flexy so I can pop the letters out easier and also I can re-heat and re-use it for all the letters :)





Making more molds... I have chosen to do letters R, V, M, C, S and F!



Extruding M :)



MVC :)

No comments:

Post a Comment